Sunday, July 24, 2011

How To Remove Nike + iPod Application From Your iPhone 4 Permanently

The following guide was put together for firmware 4.3.3. I have no guarantees this will work on your device, but it did in fact work for me with no negative effects whatsoever.

I found this tutorial from a google search. Unfortunately it wasn't correct for some of the folder locations for my iPhone 4 with 4.3.3 firmware and it wasn't even complete or clearly put together. So, I used iFile and created a backup folder, called "Nike files", in case I got anything wrong. I put it in the folder I made in my previous post called "Deleted stock apps".

Let's get started! (make a backup folder and copy EVERYTHING you're going to delete, always!)

The following files need to be deleted:

/Applications/Nike.app
/System/Library/AccessibilityBundles/SportsTrainerFramework.axbundle
/System/Library/AccessabilityBundles/Nike.axbundle
/System/Library/PreferenceBundles/VictoriaSettings.bundle
/var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.IconCache/*
<-- some sort of Nike related icon file will appear here ONLY if you had the Nike+iPod app turned on in settings. Skip this if you did NOT have it on. /System/Library/SpringBoardPlugins/NikeLockScreen.bundle
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SportsTrainer.framework
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SportsVoices.framework
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SportsWorkout.framework


That completes the list of files to delete. Now we must tell the settings menu to forget about the Nike+Ipod application, as it will still be listed there.

Navigate to \Applications\Preferences.app\ and find the file "Settings.plist". Click it and select "Text Viewer". Scroll down nearly to the bottom of this document and find the following grouping:

Delete EVERYTHING IN THE WHITE BOX and NOTHING ELSE!!!

Once you've done that, it should look like this:

Now click "Done" in the upper right corner of the keyboard and then click "Save" in the upper right corner of your screen. You should not get any errors, if you do... click "Cancel" in the upper left corner of your screen, it will re-load the file, then edit it again as above.

Close iFile when the above steps are complete. Respring your device and POOF! Nike+Ipod is gone forever (unless you restore all of these files you hopefully backed up). If all is well, its your choice to keep the backup files. I deleted them.

4 comments:

  1. Thank You - finally I can rid of this app for good.

    Dang those marketing traps. Hated it chewing up realestate in the settings bar with no way of deleting.

    I was on firmware 5.01 and the same instructions apply. I even had a "com.apple.nike_defaultRole-defaultIcon-15" in the folder /var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.IconCache/* despite already disabling the app in the springboard in settings which I also deleted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the feedback! Sorry for such a late response but I had a setting wrong in my admin panel and didn't know I had comments, DOH!

      Please use our new removal tool (DiA) if you want to further clean up your iOS. Don't forget to let us know how it works!

      Delete
  2. Thanks, the tutorial was helpful.

    I appreciate the effort to gather all the information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post with great tutorial. I appreciate your work. Thanks for sharing. ucuz iphone 4

    ReplyDelete